The “Recession” officially ended in June 2009, nearly six years ago. However, the job market has made slow progress toward a full recovery. This brings up the topic is a “college degree really worth it”? This question became more apparent to me in the last few months because my last year of college is approaching. While doing research I’ve came across many articles, research journals and news stories that have stated that basically having a college degree is either useless or depends on what major you have. Then the end result in most cases after gaining a degree you will end up being either underemployed or unemployed. These statements at first made me think maybe I made the wrong decision going after a degree for the past four years. Then to make matters worse actually college grads I have spoken to have told me that they feel college was a waste of time. They have expressed their opinions such as “it’s not what you know it’s who you know”. Not to mention all the student loan debt you can have unless you have a full ride scholarship or come from very rich family who can pay for your tuition. These assertions are somewhat opinions but do have a lot of truth to them and they can alter even the student who has had a 4.0 GPA and seems to be destined for greatness. So after reading all this information I became a little unsettled, confused, discouraged and nervous. Then I came up with five reasons why a college degree is worth it.
1. You will make more money according to Simply Hired, the average salary for a college graduate is 46,000 but the average is $32,000 for those with a high school diploma.
2. Specific jobs within a field requiring a degree to move forward, many specific careers also require a specific degree.
3. The life experiences are invaluable you learn a lot about yourself while in college that you wouldn’t experience if didn’t go to college.
4. Future opportunities once you’ve earned a four year degree, you’ve paved the way to go back to school to earn a graduate degree.
5. An education can help you transform yourself and the world around you. When you have new knowledge, you want to share it with friends and family.
Copyright ©2015 Jay Colby All Rights Reserved.