Don’t Wait Till New Year’s To Go after your Dreams

“Don’t wait till January 1st to start chasing your dreams. Any resolution important enough to make for the New Year, is important enough to start right now”

This year is coming to a close with less than a month to go. Many of us have been asked by friends or family members “Do you have any new year’s resolutions for the new year”? There is a huge misconception that we have to wait till January first to decide what “New Year resolutions” are. I remember doing this as a kid every year at midnight my whole family would go around the room and say our new goals for the new year.  This programmed my mind to think at an early age I can only make new goals with my life at the beginning of the year. As time has pasted  I’ve learned this is simply not the case.

New Goals

For example, we say we want a better job, we want to start a new workout plan, we want to improve our financial situation, etc. But for many of us these resolutions never come to fruition. The truth is that nothing is going to change until we’re completely honest with ourselves about why we’re not getting the results we want. It could be that we’re afraid of success, afraid to fail, let other people influence us,  don’t believe in ourselves  or other things.

Start Right Now

We can start at any time to start a new business venture, workout plan or just a simple lifestyle change. There is no time like the present. Nonetheless, the New Year is a time where many of us reflect on the year. We look at what has worked, what is working, and what may not have worked. Based on that, we usually come up with our new year’s resolutions. However, some of us set the same goals each year because we still haven’t accomplished them from each previous year. Some of us set goals and start off strong then eventually lose the momentum and forget all about it. Therefore, the goals have yet to be accomplished. And still, we’re complaining about the same things. .

Reality of Our Dreams

The reality is that if we want to achieve a goal or dream we have to do the work that is required to accomplish it. If we keep doing the same thing we will get the same results and have the same year we’ve had before. With that being said, one of the most important things we can do to make our dreams a reality is reevaluate who we choose to associate with. If we’re working towards our dreams we need people around us that are supportive and helping us toward our goal. A wise man once said “You’ll be successful as the people you talk to for no reason”.

Final Thoughts

In the end we have to go after what we want in life. No matter if its January 1st or September 1st  there is never a perfect time to start the process. We all deserve to live the life of our dreams. If what you’re doing isn’t working don’t get discourage just reevaluate, re-brand and stay positive towards your predestined success.

This entry was posted in Dreams, Goals, Motivation and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Don’t Wait Till New Year’s To Go after your Dreams

1. caendicott says:

Totally agree. I sat down and wrote out my goals for the first time last December. Part of me wanted to wait until January, but I went ahead and did it anyways. I’m so glad I did. I’ve achieved most of my goals or worked hard on them because I didn’t wait. Also, part of me thinks that any goal set in January is doomed anyways no matter what. Just my opinion.

2. I enjoyed this post. I attempt to push myself no matter what day or time of season it is. We never know when our time is up.

3. kage2015 says:

We make short and long term goals. Write them down and make a plan.

4. That’s right! We still have a whole month to either waste or make some moves ;))

Jay, one of your themes is self improvement & growth, right? Have you always been like this or did something happen to make you love it so much? Just curious :))

5. bursh1 says:

Mmm, great post indeed. I do re-write my resolution and that’s how poor my improvement was, but starting from now, I will make a new one and stick to achieving it…

6. Alice Gerard says:

I keep trying to push myself, as well. I’ve been blogging daily since the first of October. Also, I am working on decluttering. In the past, I would have waited until January. But, what the heck? Why not start right away? There is no time like the present!

7. I want to start my own photography business. Slowly. Word of mouth. Let’s start here! 😉

8. Astrid says:

I love that phrase: “There is no time like the present”. One of my high school teachers once told the class that there is only one moment you can be happy in your entire life. We started guessing, but no-one got it right. The answer is NOW. The same really goes for starting with the rest of your life. Like you say, if the resolution is important enough for new year’s, it’s important enough now.

9. So true Jay. Life is but a whisper and we only have this moment so keep looking up and working toward making our dreams reality.

10. madelyn says:

YES I always remind this to myself if i’m feeling down – don’t need to wait til Monday, til tomorrow, til next week or next month or the new year. Start here and start now, no matter if you’re afraid or excited!!

11. I totally agree! I set goals to myself and start right away!

This is great Jay! I totally agree why wait when it starts now. You will never see any results if there is no real action behind it. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

13. lghiggins says:

Well said! Since I first heard it many years ago, I have been enchanted with “Today is the first day of the rest of your life.” When you look at life that way, you can move on from your past and start working toward the changes you want to see in yourself and your world–right now! Keep inspiring others, Jay. I love your insights.

14. Everyday counts and nothing should be left for tomorrow.. who knows what tomorrow holds

15. I’m a firm believer of not wasting time. There’s never a perfect time to start doing something. When an idea enters my head, I’m willing to jump and take the risk to make it happen. Great post!

16. Pingback: Freakin’ Fantastic Friday – JusTalk

17. Great thoughts. I did wait to New Year this year! You may already do this, but another way to increase chances of doing what you write down is to give a copy to someone you trust and give them permission to regularly (every two weeks?) ask you tough, but kind questions on the progress you’re making toward your goals. When I did this a lot of goals got done the night before I was going to meet the person who was going to ask me those questions. (Better late than never). By the way, thank you for following me.