Should You Have A ‘Plan B’?

“Life is like a unpaved road bumpy, unsafe, scary but if we’re brave enough to walk it the possibilities are endless”

When it comes to having a plan, goal or dream for our lives the thought of having a backup often times pops up in our mind. Many of us have heard many different views, opinions and debates about this topic. This is a conversation that most entrepreneurs, dreamers, culture changers or anyone trying to pursue something have asked themselves. Should I have a backup plan or should I stick to the motto “Plan B should be trying to figure out how make plan A work”.

Plan B’s

A lot of my clients, friends, family or business associates ask me all the time should I have a backup or if I do have one am I truly going after my dreams or am I hovering around the fence. These questions can be subjective depending on the person but in my opinion we shouldn’t have a backup plan when it comes to following our dreams. Now we all know there are always exceptions to this rule, because we all have different circumstances that don’t allow us to not have a backup or plan b. On the other hand if you truly want your dreams to come true we have to put all our efforts in our dreams without having no doubt in our minds.  Throughout my journey even through its still in the beginning stage I’ve noticed how much self-doubt or belief can play a role in our success.

What has being ‘Realistic Got You’

Some may argue that having a plan b is rational and the smart thing to do. They will tell us the pros of having a plan B just in case things doesn’t work out.  Having a rational approach when comes to going after our dreams will give us a “rational or realistic level of success”.  Being realistic when it comes to our dreams can be perceived as a negative connotation that leads us to believe self-conspicuously that whatever we want to achieve won’t actually happen. Having that extra doubt by having a plan B can limit us before we even get started. In the end we all have to ask ourselves what has being realistic gotten us?

Final Thoughts

We have to ask ourselves why do we need a plan B? If we only have a Plan A it has to work and we should be working to make it happen. That doesn’t mean quit our day job tomorrow but it means that we’re training our mind to believe that our dreams will happen. By getting rid of self-doubt and the fear of failure there is no limit to what we can achieve.

What are your thoughts do you think we should have a backup plan when we’re pursuing our dreams? Comment below & if you liked this please share!

This entry was posted in Goals, Life, Passion and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Should You Have A ‘Plan B’?

1. Jdub says:

Another great post Jay. My personal opinion is not only does one need a plan B, she might need a plan C & D. I’m all about being over prepared 😀

2. u2hearts says:

Many times I’ve gone to my plan C, D and E just saying…

3. Right there with ya, Jay! Great insight. I believe a Plan B is your own acceptance of failure. And what’s worse?! It’s before you even start!
    A client told me once 7/10 in commitment level with regards to achieving their fitness goals of losing 20lbs in 6 months… when questioned “why not 10, why not 5? Why 7?”, they responded “just in case…”
    In case of what? If you’re going to give only 70% I guess it’s pretty easy to say you never gave it your all when you don’t make it… right?
    Pursue your passion. Give it your all. Believe in yourself and make it happen. There’s no mistakes, only experiences.
    Great thoughts, man!

4. I agree 100%. Plan A all the way!

5. kage2015 says:

No back up plan or plan B. Give it everything you have. Do your homework before jumping in. Plan B isn’t needed.

6. caendicott says:

I’m really torn about how to respond. On one hand, I agree with Plan B being making Plan A work. But I also understand having a backup plan, for financial reasons, if Plan A totally crashes and fails. So I guess I’ll have to go with a combination: Plan B = try again to make Plan A work; Plan C = if Plan B fails, have a financial back up plan to get you a little more time; Plan D = find a job, get financially stable, rework the plan to try again. Does that make sense?

Actually it makes a lot of sense I never of thought of it that way. I understand your sentiment and having a combination of both can be adventitious. Thanks for sharing!

7. TipsterPH says:

Having a plan B is like saying that you lack of confidence with the plan A.

8. Every plan I’ve ever made has gone out the window come go time. I find that the most important thing is to be resourceful and roll with the punches. I’m putting everything I have into my freelance writing, but made sure I had a decent “oh shit” fund saved up before I left my full time staff writer position. I also trust in my ability to hustle when I need to. It’s a risk, but I have no dependents and I love it.

9. I like to have a backup. It may have meant giving up on plan A too soon a few times, but that’s just how I am.

10. So true plan b is needed… when i was 16 i created plan a that served me well for a good number of years until two years ago.. so i havent perfected my plan b.rather the vision of it… .. but i agree you need a plan b

11. angyjenks says:

Yes I think you need a plan B.. you should always have a back up plan.. until your plan A is back on track..

12. kkyser4 says:

Great article! I don’t believe in Plan B’s because to me it plants seeds of insecurity and doubt. The thought of having a Plan B counts out Plan A going through no matter what. I think we should do whatever it takes and become obsessed until Plan A comes into full fruition.

13. kkyser4 says:

Reblogged this on and commented:
    What are your thoughts? Are Plan B’s necessary?

14. Interesting discussion. The usefulness of a Plan B depends a great deal on the individual and the level of risk Plan A involves. Some will be tempted to fall back on the “safer” alternative that a Plan B represents. For others, however, Plan B is merely a way to manage risk. Happy Holidays!

15. I will only add that you will never need a Plan B if you include God on making the Plan A possible. God is ready to make our dreams a reality, but so many of us think we are supposed to do this life on our own, and we miss out on the greatest Co-Creator of dreams. Ask God to show you how to make plan A work. If He gives you a plan B, it is only because it is a better, easier way to achieve the end result that you wanted with Plan A.

16. Sorting my thoughts out about life and it’s plan B and then came around this. Thank you so much!

17. Pingback: Should You Have A ‘Plan B’? — Jay Colby

18. Rahul Batra RB says:

Though all rational beings (business class) will say you must have a plan B, I believe, we should focus in one area. It’s tough to concentrate in one area, it is thousand times better than making other plans & thinking ‘what if’.

19. Monira Ahmed says:

I can see both sides of argument, but it depends on how realistic you’re being with Plan A. In my line of work as a careers adviser I see a lot of students with unrealistic career plans. And there are cases when Plan B is needed. But you know maybe Plan A can happen but at a later stage. Who said it’s got to be now and first thing you do? Everyone’s journey to achieving their goals is different and success is not linear. You may need to do different things before achieving your dreams! Hope that makes sense.

I have mixed feelings about this. I firmly believe that by giving your all to your dream, you send a clear message to the universe that you want to make this happen and believe it will happen. I do feel we have to put our all into what we want to accomplish. At the same time, it’s not realistic for many of us to drop everything, such as a job that supports our family, to pursue our dreams. That’s when we have to get creative about finding the time and energy and space to pursue it regardless. Whenever one of my students (I work with college students) tells me that they plan to pursue a practical major and then later on, when they’re working and have money, they’ll pursue their passion major or career, I tell them I think they should do the reverse; pursue their passion and then, if it doesn’t work out, go to plan B. I guess it all depends on the responsibilities one has in life. Sometimes we’re not ready to pursue our dreams when we’re young and have little or no responsibilities.

Great insight I agree sometimes pursuing our dreams can be diffcult the more responsibilities we have. The advice you give is spot on going after our dreams before we have the major responsibilities of life. Thanks for reading!

21. taylormitch says:

I feel like everyone should have a Plan B. One never knows what “opportunities” life will throw at us.

22. There is no plan B when it comes to my dreams. I am realistic about working my dreams but there is no plan B. Plan B is making arrangements for your child to be picked up. Maybe even paying a particular bill but no your dream.

23. No Plan B here. I trust God and allow him to direct my paths.

24. lakisha25 says:

What a great read Jay.
    As a mom of a college freshman, I tell my son have a plan b, c and d however; I do believe one you’re focused on that goal, go hard and be willing tweak and amend things from lessons learned.

25. TC Mason says:

I agree 100% to back-up plans, things may not end up as what we have planned. So for me, if plan A did not work, there should be a plan B, C, D until I get into my goal.

26. I have to agree that a Plan B is almost like admitting you don’t fully believe in Plan A. However, I do believe that sometimes you, well we, have to make adjustments and slight variations to Plan A before it fully manifests. Being adaptable to change is a reality of life. Thanks for sharing your thoughts ♥

27. Carissa (The Green Eyed Lady) says:

Yes, I totally feel like you should have a Plan A, B, C & D. You never know what may happen when you make plans and you have to ultimately be ready for anything!

28. It’s hard to admit that failure is part of the plan. My plan a b and c went out the window a long time ago. So always have multiple back ups that’s imperative.

29. Shellz says:

We’ve had it ingrained in our heads to always have a backup plan but I do think it can stop you from fully executing plan a when you have hiccups along the way. I do believe in having options but only because we have to! 😃

30. I completely understand your perspective. Often by mentally preparing the worst we do not even give our best to the dream or goal we have. I have committed to making my Plan A work this year and this was a great reminder to stay focused.

31. staciesayzso says:

I am a firm believer in Plan B. Wisdom has taught me through the years that life doesn’t always go the way you expect it. Keep believing in your dream but always stay prepared.

32. cleverlychanging says:

A back up plan can be tricky. It can encourage us to reroute some times when it isn’t even necessary. So I believe that being flexible should always be an option but a solid plan A doesn’t hurt one bit.

33. It is always important to have a plan b, c, and d. Great reminder that there are always options and you never have to feel stuck or trapped by anything or any situation.

34. LaQuisha Hall says:

I love planning, period! Lol! I will have a plan for every letter of the alphabet! If at first you don’t succeed… 😉