What’s Your Bigger Picture?

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.”

During the daily grind of life paying bills, working a job or pursing our passion. We can lose sight of our “bigger picture”, because of self-doubt, bills and just life obstacles. For anyone who has goals, dreams or aspirations in life seeing the bigger picture can be challenging when we face obstacles on our journey to greatness. No matter what our specific goal is there will always be obstacles, naysayers, or setbacks. Often times when this occurs we tend to ask ourselves questions like “Is there even a point to this” or “Will all my hard work pay off or am I wasting my time”. These negative thoughts tend to be followed by fear of failure which can lead us to give up on our dreams.

Through our daily grind towards our goals it can be difficult to maintain our focus on our main goal. Many times, we let distractions lessen our attention on the goal at hand. The power to maintain our focus is simply believing in our vision. Once we fully believe in our vision no matter what obstacle we face we have the fortitude to overcome it. However, knowing what our “bigger picture” is can be overwhelming when our vision is unclear.

Without a goal to shoot for it can be difficult or downright impossible to have a bigger picture. Thus, we’re basically running in circles or meandering our way in a general direction without having a define goal. This is the reason why we need to come up with a “vision statement” for our life then set goals to help us move towards that vision.

What is Your vision statement?

A vision statement is your assertion of what you want out of life. It is your chance to answer the question, “When I get to the end of my life, I will be the most disappointed if I never accomplished ___________.” Your vision statement is a written list of all those things you dream about when you look into the future. It covers as many facets of your life as imaginable in as much detail as possible. One of the main reasons we need a vision statement for our lives, because it gives us direction and a goal to follow throughout life. However, as we go through our mission and goals change so there’s nothing wrong with changing our vision statement when we change.

Final Thoughts

Throughout history most people who got ahead and made a difference in life had a plan they were passionate about. Majority of the time they had a strategic plan, work ethic and passion that guided them on their way to success. Even when an obstacle came across their path they looked at it as a learning experience instead of a failure or setback. As a wise man once told me “I learn more from failure than success… because it gives me the opportunity to learn from my mistakes.”

What’s your “bigger picture” do you have a vision statement for your life? Comment below & if you enjoyed this post please comment, like & share!

Facebook Page: Jay Colby

Twitter: J Colby

Instagram: Jay Colby

Podcast:The Jay Colby Show

Copyright ©2017 Jay Colby All Rights Reserved.

This entry was posted in Mindset, Motivation, Success and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to What’s Your Bigger Picture?

1. One day be a photographer and go travel and help tragic events: tornado victims, flooded victims, etc

2. mimionlife says:

Thank you for this message today. 🙂 Good things to ponder.

3. Kyle Bell says:

Live life passionately and humbly by doing what I love, investing in various companies, and building them from the ground up to give back to numerous communities worldwide. Peace and blessings, king.

4. This is an encapsulated version of my bigger picture; to live a conscious, mindful, and spirited life.
    To keep increasing my productivity aimed at living the life of my dreams, reaching for my greatness and abundance.

5. My life vision statement is “To live fully in the moment and to TRUST that life is rigged in my favor!”

6. Thought provoking post. Having a vision of what you would like to look back on, at the end of life, can help shape our everyday habits very powerfully!

7. Thank you for this. Wish I had seen it yesterday but I’m glad i get to see it now.

8. It is so important to have a vision statement and we for sure have one. It entails being and doing all God leads us to do.

9. kage2015 says:

We sat down and started planning for our retirement after we were married. Saved bought land. Saved to build a new house, invested for retirement. We are close to retiring. New house is built and can be paid off at anytime. Retirement is looking great. We are even traveling.

10. Anonymous says:

I’ve recently realized, sadly, that I need to be living for me and not for someone else (family). Living for me makes me happy, even if they don’t understand it.

11. jane tims says:

Interesting. I think in terms of amounts. I’ve done most of what I want to do, I just haven’t done enough of it yet!

12. My vision statement is to leave a different legacy for my children so they won’t have to endure some of the same struggles my husband and I had to endure. That is why we live a different life from the rest of our family. This includes homeschooling and following a more healthier diet.

13. robin rue says:

Right now, my only plan is to raise awesome humans. I try so hard to make sure my kids grow up to be amazing adults.

14. akamatra says:

Live a honest, healthy, happy life with my family and help other not as fortunate as me

15. thehouseturnedhome says:

How true this is! It’s the little moments added up that make our lives. This was a good reminder to see the bigger picture and focus on goals. Progress is progress no matter how small.

16. elizabethbrico says:

It’s true, working through setbacks is EXTREMELY difficult-but important if you want to accomplish anything. I’ve had more than my fair share of setbacks and it has really derailed my dream of becoming a successful writer.

17. Claudia Krusch says:

Life is to short to not be happy. I make sure I do something everyday that helps me be a happier person.

18. Elizabeth says:

My vision statement is to take each day as it comes and make the best out of each and every one of them. No sense in worrying about what I’ll think on my deathbed, I should concentrate on what I’m thinking about while I’ve still got years left to enjoy!

19. What a cool post! So inspirational 🙂 I once read a book about how everyone always speaks about the Big 5 when going on safaris.. but this can be translated into life as well, what are your Big 5 for your life, things without out which your life wouldn’t be ‘successful’ or complete..

20. I agree wholeheartedly. Failure is just a way to learn and correct mistakes.

21. munakenny says:

Living for yourself while respecting others (when possible). Entertaining others and concentrating on other’s happiness can make a person forget his own goals and dreams.

22. Love the quote in the last sentence. I can completely agree!

23. Kiwi says:

I am still seeking my bigger picture. I know I am currently on a holistic and spiritual journey and I just want to spread positivity and healing.

24. What a lovely message I enjoy reading this and so glad you share this inspiring post with us

25. i would love to be able to write full time. i never thought it would be my passion but it is now.