We all make mistakes no matter if we’re ten or sixty years old. Mistakes are an essential part of what makes us who we are. Mistakes are a crucial step in learning, improving and evolving to the person you want to become. Although it doesn’t make it any easier admitting you’ve made a mistake.
One of the first steps to learning from a mistake is to admit that in fact a mistake or error has been made. Though simple it can be difficult to implement, because it is easy to start blaming others to distance ourselves from potential repercussions.
However, if we are able to be honest with ourselves and say “I’ve made a mistake and I’m responsible for my actions” provides us a great opportunity to avoid the same mistake again. Thus, showing a level of maturity and wisdom that many people struggle with their entire lives.
The kind of mistakes we make define what type of life we have. If we take on more risk and are considered more of a risk-taker were likely to make some mistakes along the way. Rather than if the biggest mistakes we ever make are missing our favorite TV show or buying the wrong size shirt at the mall. However, in many cases making some mistakes are sometimes the best thing that can happen to us. There are always powerful lessons to be learned from mishaps that are vital to our ability to become who we are meant to be. Here are 5 powerful lessons that can be learned through failures, mistakes and mishaps.
- Mistakes teach us to take responsibility – Often times our instinctive reaction to a mistake is to either shift the blame elsewhere or beat ourselves up inside. We say things like “It’s not my fault, “I don’t see how this has anything to do with me” or “I’m so stupid why do I always do this.” Taking responsibility for a failure may not be fun, but the act of doing so points out what we can do differently next time. Examining our role reminds us that our decisions and actions have a huge consequence on the quality of our lives.
- Mistakes teach us about integrity – Majority of the time mishaps happen when we break promises, over-commit, agree to avoid conflict or fail to listen fully. Big mistakes usually start as small errors, but over time they start to affect us on a larger scale. Therefore, it is important we pay attention to the integrity of the choices we make every day. Mistakes can be a signal that our words and actions are out of alignment.
- Mistakes teach us to engage in our lives — Once we realize that we aren’t defined by our mistakes. We will be willing to learn from them and not be fearful of making the “dreaded mistake.” Often times when we become fearful of making mistakes we won’t take any risks or chances, because we’re so afraid to make a mistake. As a wise woman once told me “Your history does not have to predict your future… it’s not about the mistake you made yesterday, but what you’ve learned today.” I remember once I watched a documentary on a man some would consider to be successful. He worked a full-time job for forty years, made a decent living and lived in a middle-class home. Many people would consider him the American dream. However, when interviewed on his death bed he was asked do you have regrets? He said “I wish I had taken more risk and made more mistakes… I never really took a chance on anything and many people would look at my life and say I was successful, but in actuality I was miserable… I had chances to take risk but was too afraid to actually do it.” Understanding that without risk there is sometimes no reward.
- Mistakes allow us to inspire others – Although mistakes can seem like a waste of time and effort. Often times our mistakes can be used to not only teach but inspire others. I can remember countless number of times when people would tell me stories about their past mistakes and it has helped me to avoid some of those same pitfalls. Therefore, sharing our failure and mistakes can be a true help to others.
- Mistakes don’t make us a failure – There are many negative connotations of mistakes in our society providing us with mix-signals about mistakes. Some say mistakes are a great learning opportunity while others deem it to be an undesirable and one of the most awful things that could ever happen. Mistakes are a part of life with them we wouldn’t have as much admiration for success. Mistakes provides us with a blue-print of what to do and not to do to reach said success.
In the end mistakes are a part of being human appreciate mistakes for what they are. Learn, grow and become a better you. Allow yourself room to grow into the person you are destined to be and reach the predestined greatness that is already set for your life.
What’s one of the biggest mistakes you’ve ever made & how did you learn from it? Comment below & if you enjoyed this post please like, share and comment!
Stay Connected With Jay Colby
Facebook Page: Jay Colby
Podcast: The Jay Colby Show
Twitter: The Jay Colby Show
Copyright ©2017 Jay Colby All Rights Reserved.