When Life Gives You Lemons: What Do You Make?

The expression “when life gives you lemons, make lemonade” is used to encourage us when we’re facing adversity in our lives. When you face said adversity in a way you can feel satisfied with, you’re making life a little sweeter. Lemons suggest bitterness (an obstacle or hardship you are facing), while lemonade is sweet and pleasant. Staying positive and figuring out how to solve problems is much more advantageous than allowing yourself to go sour. We all have faced some type of adversity in our lives whether we like it or not. Those lemons (obstacles) in our life can cause us to be overwhelm and confused. But having obstacles are not the end verdict. It is what you do with said lemons that make the difference.

Dealing with Adversity

When you hear the word adversity, what comes to mind? Whenever you feel yourself getting into adverse situations having a positive reaction can be helpful response. Take the time out to think about your response before you make a hasty decision. First off start by changing your mindset towards the word adversity and how you define this for your life.  If you think of adversity as bad luck or in a negative connotation or simply misfortune. When this these thought start to enter your mind take a moment to take a deep breath, reflect on the situation and maybe even take a calm walk around. Then come back to the adverse situation and rather than feeling down and stuck because of this hardship see it in a positive outlook. Although this better said than done this is a learned practiced which can be learned and implemented into anyone’s life. Overcoming adversity means picking up what is left with yourself, getting it all together again, and readjusting for the next chapter of your life.

Overcoming Obstacles

One of the first steps to overcoming obstacles is— understanding it won’t last forever obtaining this mindset is key.  Keeping a positive perceptive and staying focus on the “bigger picture”.  Looking forward to your future endeavors, goals and the people you want in your life. Overcoming adversity must simply be done not to take you down, but to reveal the greatness that’s already inside you. Many people have dreams for their life, but don’t want to go through all the obstacles to achieve said dream or goal. Even the most driven, dedicated and educated people have trouble taking the necessary action that is requires to withstand fear, humiliation, and discomfort. We’re conditioned from childhood to avoid unpleasant feelings. Nothing stirs those feelings more than taking risks, overcoming adverse situations and achieving a dream. It’s no wonder change can feel so challenging. You may need to ask yourself: What’s really hold holding me back?

What Are You Going To Do With The Lemons In Your Life?

As you can see, there are many obstacles a person faces throughout life. It takes self-reflection to determine if they are really going to make lemonade out of their lemons, once you identify your obstacles (lemons), you can then take the necessary steps to overcome them. Remember, your obstacles are not your limitations in life you can achieve your goals and dreams if you truly believe in them. Which of these obstacles have you dealt with in pursuing your dreams?  Let me know in the comment section & if you liked this post please share!

This entry was posted in Life, Money, Success and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

69 Responses to When Life Gives You Lemons: What Do You Make?

1. omz says:

If lemons are the sour kind, how about use the lemon as the basis of liquid rock of life. In short squeeze it out, get the juice use the juice and dont drink it till it get sweetend for the fat of life.

2. Adversity is a surefire way to grow and build character. I look at it as a philosophical learning experiencing. We are all capable of rising to the occasion, and succeeding our horizons, if we are breaking down solutions, as opposed to only explaining to complain.

Lemons are created for the sole purpose of receiving our due fruit. And if you want the best out of life, then making sacrifices, enthusiasm, effort, and dedication must be taken seriously.

Thank you for the post. I appreciate you.

3. ameniki says:

Another critical thing to remember is that sometimes obstacles have names! And its very much ok, to let those obstacles go!
    Great article love!

4. mooretosay says:

Reblogged this on crowdCONNX and commented:
    Some solid advice on facing the many struggles that life can throw your way.

M

5. aprilcoon says:

Great Blog!!! Love your writing!

6. aprilcoon says:

Reblogged this on Faith.Hope.Love and commented:
    My Weekly Featured Blog is written by Jay Colby called, “When Life Gives You Lemons: What Do You Make?”

7. truejoy1986 says:

Lovely sentiments! It can be discouraging when we deal with obstacles on the way to our goals. One of my favorite fun quotes is: “when life gives you lemons, make grape juice and watch them wonder how you did it.” It’s a great reward to climb over obstacles, stare adversity in the face, and be able to say “I have overcome.” It makes our achievement so much more meaningful!

8. That part – “Even the most driven, dedicated and educated people have trouble taking the necessary action that is requires to withstand fear, humiliation, and discomfort. We’re conditioned from childhood to avoid unpleasant feelings. Nothing stirs those feelings more than taking risks, overcoming adverse situations and achieving a dream. It’s no wonder change can feel so challenging. You may need to ask yourself: What’s really hold holding me back?”

9. sargondorsai says:

Challenges are what force us to adapt, to grow. Adversity is one of the strongest motivators for change. You mentality in the face of challenge, in the face of adversity, is what it takes to truly convert those sour lemons into something a bit more (or a lot more) palatable.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful message.

10. JAIN says:

Very insightful post. I will remember some of these things as I go through my online college classes, when things are hard or out of my comfort zone.

11. This is a great post. You are a powerful success Inspirer. If you like to become an author on Success Inspirers’ World, you are welcome.

12. God bless you dear friend. Praise the Holy Name of our Lord Jesus who is Christ.

13. This was a great post! When things happen now I don’t get upset or stress,just pray and say it happened for reason!

14. taylormitch says:

This post truly resonates with me, as I have been reflecting on how to deal with some of the “sour” lemons that I have encountered in my life. I am beginning to realize that sometimes ridding ourselves of those sours will prove to be the most beneficial at this time.

15. Ruby Gee says:

I absolutely want to make lemonade with my lemons! Thank you for this blog and I especially liked the part of remembering your adversity is only temporary and to think of the bigger picture. Happy Friday!! Xo💕

16. TheStyleWright says:

Love this post!!

17. Eleanor Roosevelt said, you must “look fear in the face and do the thing you think you cannot do.” Sometimes when life throws us an obstacle, we think we can’t get over the hurdle. To move forward requires strength and courage–and sometimes knowing when to take a detour.

18. Anonymous says:

I like this article Jay, Great read. It has also touched me because I have been making lemonade since I can remember. But, one thing I know, if I don’t quit, when it’s time to harvest, I WILL breakthrough. And I cannot wait to start making mango juice.

19. pawan35 says:

If life really gives me lemons I will call of the WP followers make juice and drink with them

20. Kim Rdz says:

Always enjoy your reading.

21. Martin says:

My teenage daughter says “If life gives you lemons the squeeze them in people’s eyes” which is a bit aggressive but then high school is a tough place.
    I think about it like this. Life is about solving problems. No problems leaves me fat and lazy. Problems I can solve straight away, they’re boring. Problems I can’t solve straight away, they’re interesting, that’s when you get creative, or get tougher or usually both.

22. thoughtcascadeblog says:

You can make a light bulb glow with a lemon LOL Or … a margarita LOL It depends on what the situation calls for.

23. Awesome read Jay, so much depth in your words and inspiring.

24. Jay another brilliant post. Loved it . Nicely explained and motivating.

25. Marc and Ann says:

“Many people have dreams for their life, but don’t want to go through all the obstacles to achieve said dream or goal.” Yes!! Well said! read article.

26. Nina says:

When life gives me lemons, I’d make lemonades, lemon mirenge, lemon cakes, and lemon spread…AND THEN I’d share the recipes to others. When we learn something from an unfortunate experience, it makes it more meaningful when we are able to share what we’ve learned from it to others-how we managed to overcome, what worked and didn’t work… That’s what I’d do. 😊

27. prinxy says:

No great Door is opened easily, B4 every success there are always (note: Always) Adversity… To overcome adversity look at the Crown you are working so hard to achieve… Take your eyes away from the pain and press forward to the gain…. Weeping may endure for a night but joy comes in the morning… “Why weep b4 Joy”, so that you will value your success and learn from your difficulties…..
    Great one Jay

28. Great read, would you be interested in collabing at any point in the near future- asprinkleofjoyyy x

29. mistermuse says:

Well said as far as it goes, but “understanding it won’t last forever” doesn’t cut it in all lemon cases (for example, those with a terminal, incurable illness). But someone once said something to the effect that exceptions make tough cases, so as a general rule, your post makes good lemonade!

Have a shot of tequila!

31. meishap1 says:

Jay, your words were uplifting and encouraging. This post was a great reminder to me that the trials we face have the potential to make us stronger. In the word of God, the psalmist said “It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes.” (Ps.119:71) In some of my most difficult times, I have found the word of God to have some of the best lemonade recipes! Thank you for sharing your gift of writing. God bless you.

32. Life give you lemons. Wooowwww. For free? Sell them.

33. I’m fed up with the medical shark system and moved to Manitou Springs Colorado where there are mineral springs. They’ve been visited for hundreds of years for their healing qualities. One has iron in it and when mixed with citrus is easily absorbed in the human body. Needless to say, I think my lemonade I’m making from life lemons is super healthy. 🙂

34. Great reminder. Thanks