For The Love Of Money Or Happiness?

Has there every been a point in your life were you were successful but not happy and vice versa?

The perception of money and happiness has been discussed, argued and debated for decades. What we desire to attain in life sometimes surpasses what ultimately makes us happy. We sometimes sacrifice our happiness for money because it is convenient and sometimes an easier decision. For the most part money rules a lot of our lives we need money for pretty much everything in life. So choosing money over happiness may seem to be the only way out.

In today’s money hungry society there is an overwhelming number of people who work the ranks of power, chase money at all costs, or forget the true meaning of happiness. This is common because we live in a society where money is supposed to give us “happiness”. Needless to say we know that’s not the case especially when we see professional athletes, actors and celebrities who have millions of dollars take their own life because they aren’t happy.

Now money does matter we need it to survive but if we get consumed with money and the chase of money it can be toxic for our life. Just this past week I heard a great quote from a mentor of who said “Money will buy you many things, but the happiness from it is only limited”. These words were profound to me because sometimes we all can get consumed with money. The stress of life can cause anyone to lose the true meaning of happiness because of bills, family obligations and life expenses.

Now this brings up the question which is more important to you money or happiness? Before you answer ask yourself what is your ultimate goal in life? Is your aim in life to become a billionaire and have to get tax right offs and an accountant on your payroll? Or are you following your dreams and passions that truly make you happy instead of going after money? There’s nothing wrong with, either, just different approaches and priorities. Comment below and tell me your answers & if you liked this post please share!

This entry was posted in Life, Love, Money and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

98 Responses to For The Love Of Money Or Happiness?

1. rothpoetry says:

Money issue can really affect happiness. It can become your slave driver always trying to get caught up. Credit is thought to bring happiness, but it is just the opposite. It enslaves you if not managed. When you have a family and kids in school, you sometimes have to sacrifice work happiness to do what is necessary to have the money you need.
    I believe happiness comes from living within your means. If I can’t pay it off in 30 days I don’t buy it. Other than a house or car, I have rarely charged on a long term basis. I pay my card off every month. Now I am retired, living on social security and a little pension from school teaching and happier than I have ever been.

I agree you made a great point we shouldn’t buy many items that we really can’t afford. It is issue that many of us have “living outside our means”. This can affect our happiness. Thank you for sharing!

2. sandeept252 says:

I believe that happiness comes from satisfaction. You might have done whatever you are interested in, you might have earned enough money, but if you’re not satisfied, you can never be happy.

You might be doing passionate but if it does not fetch enough money, you’re going to be frustrated at some point. I think you need to do something passionate which also helps you earn.

3. starmanjones says:

hostels exist or once did so years could elapse homeless otherwise. light work and a variety of light tasks done meant the property got cared for and the gas kept on. then there is the wealthier- I swore all it would take is a few nudges to my millions- i didn’t try the love card and hope i thus do not wholly know but it was simple he too didn’t start out rich so ether would I have to- just footsteps in front of each other toward what works and removing the bleeding heart to care for and be bleed by others when I need my leg up.. simple stuff- one can be a multi millionaire in hardly no time or live years on end on hardly a cent. success is a bit illusiary that way. however easy as it is, I can not charm my way into it some days so much as 20 cents short on a busride.

Very true making “millions” is not easy and takes a lot hard work. Being able to be happy no matter how much money is in our bank account is key. Thanks for sharing!

• starmanjones says:

money’s funny… it can come in piles easily or scarcely glitter a cent. some can work and work hard one more day then cuss they didn’t get paid, others can work each gamble risked returned rewarded slow or fast but achieved, some can squeek away doing nothing and win their way too. it’s all funny one reason I happen to love religion because of a line where it says heavenly reward isn’t by works but his grace. success is like that- it isn’t money which people think it is but even if it were- you could work hard for money and end with none or work “smart” and make piles both could be unhappier for it while one could cry more comfortably in a mercedes… sing your janis joplin now 😉 oh lord won’t you by me a mer cedes benz – my friend’s all drive porches, I must make ammends, worked hard all my life, no help from my friends oh lord, wont you buy me a mer ce des benz. 😉

4. Pingback: For The Love Of Money Or Happiness? — Jay Colby | The New Affluent

5. Nothing wrong with wanting money, just that to me, it is one of the forms of fulfillment …and I am unable to pursue it at the cost of joy and contentment. Your post is very apt to get the minds going about questioning and finding this balance.

6. I’ve met rich and poor people who are unhappy, and vice versa. It’s all in your mind. Money makes us think we need things, more stuff to add to our stuff. Internal peace is what we all desire, that takes work….you can’t measure that with a bank account

7. vishal4u says:

I think that money is important and yes it can buy things which can surely make our loved ones happy. But I have one argument, what is going to happen if we leave money aside and chase our dreams wildly giving 100%. Chances are you might succeed in that field and achieve all the fame and money you deserve in it and the with that money also you can do whatever you wanna do and that too happily.
    If in case you fail while chasing the dream then also you will have enough regrets in your life at all.

8. Matt says:

Very thought provoking! Thanks for posting! Ill take the happiness. Many terrible things have happened for the sake of money. At its root it is simply a means of exchange. Money on its own is worthless. It is what you can get with it that makes it valuable.

9. In today’s world when it comes to money, we are damned if we do and we are damn sure damned if we don’t. I still choose to go after my passions. Happiness and money come with doing what you love.

10. My overarching goal is freedom; and freedom for those who desire it. The way the world is set up today – money is required to buy freedom. Therefore, money = freedom = happiness.

11. Joel F says:

Can i choose both? I’m a little selfish for wanting both. 🙂 Thanks for sharing this Jay. Have a great friday.

12. Having lived a life without financial concern, I was happy. After my divorce money was tight but I earned enough to remain happy. At 52-years-old, I was diagnosed with advanced glaucoma and was unable to continue working. Qualifying for Social Security Disability my income was reduced by 2/3. Remaining in my hometown was not financially viable so I used all of my savings to move to a city where the cost of living wasn’t as high. Gone were the days of eating out, purchasing items I didn’t need, manicures, Starbucks, and other nonessentials.

However, by having more leisure than ever I discovered passions like creating videos, activism, gardening, philosophy, and home improvement projects on the duplex my brother rents to me. I have a greater sense of happiness enjoying these activities. Income is relative to what brings you happiness and having the time to realize what brings you happiness is priceless.

13. ashleyarlene says:

My family and I have struggled financially, but the best part is that we know how much money we need to make to function happily. It isn’t much but enough to pay bills and allow for some Funtime slack off. If we made more I think it would just be more self development money spending. Like my shopping habits. Or getting my nails done. All of which aren’t necessary.

14. Money is a very important aspect of life without which one can’t achieve his full potentials. Unfortunately, schools don’t talk much about it.

15. First happiness..second money

16. Money can buy happiness to the extent that it can let you have basic needs and some amount of security and freedom. In other words, empty bellies aren’t usually happy. Beyond that, though, so much of our happiness depends on the small intentional choices that we make on a day-to-day basis, rather than vast financial gains.

17. Happiness always! ❤

18. Between 0-50K money buy happiness. Between 50K and 50M… unlikely. Good post.