“There’s no elevator to success you have to take the stairs”

Most of us desire success in one form or another. Some just daydream about it, while some work day and night to make it happen. We live in a society where having money and materialistic things define success. This ideology usually comes from the media, TV and movies portrayal of success to the mass audience. These images can sometimes alter the way we look at success.

However, success can be defined in many different ways some may see it as being able to spend their time free time enjoying the simple things in life. Others may see success in the acquisition of knowledge, growth and understanding.  For me “success” means being able to wake up every day with a smile on my face doing the things that I love i.e. writing and being a positive outlet for as many people as I can. I go into more detail about success in my latest podcast “How Do You Define Success”?

How do you define success? Comment below.

Stay Connected With Jay Colby

Facebook Page: Jay Colby

Podcast: The Jay Colby Show

Copyright ©2017 Jay Colby All Rights Reserved.

Link | This entry was posted in Mindset, Motivation, Podcast, Success and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to Success: How Do You Define it?

1. I define success with personal satisfaction of the thing in question. Success is relative, at least in my opinion it is. My boyfriend and I certainly have two different views of success. I don’t think either of us is right or wrong. I just think we have different perceptions and expectations.

2. Success is definitely subjective. And for a long time, I made life decisions based off of how my family defines success. It lead me down an unhappy road. I love that success to you is also being a positive outlet to others. I think you absolutely are and your posts encourage and motivate. Thank you for sharing.

3. sasnider says:

Success used to be me getting that next promotion or working towards it to give my family the life style we are used to having. After losing our oldest son 11/10/15 in a horrific accident, my definition of success has changed dramatically. I now define my success as making it through my days without breaking down over my loss, as my two children here on earth being successful in school and their current relationships, as being more with my family than being at a desk that will only in the end provide the means in which to lay me to rest. So I guess you could say, success can change as you grow older and experience situations you are either ready for or not. Just my two cents 🙂

4. u2hearts says:

I nominated you for one lovely blog award. http://www.multipleexperiences.org/?p=1432&preview=true
    I’ve really enjoyed reading your posts. You have great topics and thoughtful insights

5. Like your definition for success. Ones to follow. There is something about hitting the pillow at night knowing we tried our best.

6. enterfuntech says:

I think success is when you achive your desire goal then we called it success right..

Freedom. In other words, being able to call the shots in your life. I’m not quite there yet…

8. caendicott says:

I define success as being able to take care of myself, my family, and my household without handouts or debt. Because we’re paying off a lot of debt right now, my mind turns everything financially.

9. kage2015 says:

Jay your ideas of success is awesome. Money and things are now as important anymore. Family, giving service, sharing knowledge and traveling are passions of mine now.

10. Success is when we keep working towards our desires while having the gift of a good night’s sleep every day 🙂

11. Sparkyjen says:

I define success as being all I can be in the highest and best way I can in this moment. I love knowing that I can still learn something new, which can then be applied in some meaningful way to raise the quality of life for the people I spend a lot of time with…people living with dementia. I do this on a volunteer basis, because I have enough to spread around. Success is feeling like you are walking on a cloud because you realize why you are here!

12. Success comes when the mindset is focus on what success is for you.

13. ahmedgreek says:

well for me, It’s about shaping my own destiny. To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded. It’s so transitory. #JayColby kindly follow me 🙂

14. wel said guy.love it

15. EDO says:

For me, success involves having a sense of personal fulfilment

16. Success is different for everybody. For me, as long as I’m at peace within and full of joy i made it ! 😂😂 everything else falls into place when I work for it

17. Kdropout says:

Great post. Comments even better. Will follow to keep up with you.

18. 2MASX says:

success – health, family and financial freedom.

19. Very thought provoking Jay. This is my perspective on it, as I disagree with some of it.

While it sounds nice that we have to take the stairs to be successful, there are people who just take the elevator. This has been the history of the US since its beginning. We live in a world based on racism, sexism, and classism. Whiteness is an elevator ride to success. Being a man is an elevator ride to success. Having rich parents is an elevator ride to success. Everyone else, to varying degrees, has to take the stairs. In some instances, there are no stairs at all and people are stuck.

Consider the fact that 80% of the jobs people receive were never posted online … they simply knew someone who worked there. These are elevator rides to success. Black folks with no criminal records are less likely to get jobs than white folks with records. We have to account for the structural influence of success as well – as the system shapes the individual.

Keep up the good work bro!

20. Success is achieving one’s predestined purpose.

21. Kaycee says:

But money is a great big part of it… The Bible even says money answers all things

22. I like your work keep it up Bro!

23. TC Mason says:

Success is how we define it. Can be our career, financial stability, family, it all depend on one’s perspective. But if we try to look at it deeply, it’s always linked to satisfaction. Great Post!

24. Ty Knighten says:

Success to me is achieving my goals and doing whatever makes me happy in life, which means living on my own terms.

25. I would agree with most of the other comments! Success is a relative term. My definition isn’t even the same as some of my family members lol. I wouldn’t say that success depends on hard work. Sometimes it seems like success just falls into an individual’s lap while the next person is taking the stairs to reach it. I like to think of it in terms of the Alchemist if you find your personal destiny you’ve found success. Thanks for sharing!

26. To me, success will be having the freedom to live the life I envision without limitation.

27. I’m with you, Jay. Success to me is having peace of mind and being happy. Everything else is just a compliment.

28. Kita says:

Success to me means pushing through and celebrating even my smallest wins. I am teaching my children the same. Even a small success is a success.

29. I define success as being about to be a blessing to other people while taking care of my family too.

30. Carissa (The Green Eyed Lady) says:

Nice Topic!!! I am learning everyone’s definition of success is different! But I like how you said you have to take the stairs there is no easy way to it!!

31. cleverlychanging says:

Successful living changes as we grow and get wiser. Now, having healthy well educated children who love me is my definition. However, when I was in college my definition was very different.

32. mimicutelips says:

My definition of success is constantly changing. It is a very temporary feeling because I set my eyes on something else.

33. I believe success and contentment go hand in hand….waking up feeling happy and content, doing what you love!

• Sir_Phren says:

Can one be a success with contentment?
      I believe if am contented with thingsaround me upon waking up, why would I bother to work harder? Why will I make today better than yesterday?

• Hey! Idk, I think you can be content and still wait with anticipation for what’s to come in the future…being content (in my eyes) means that you’re grateful for where you are in life… I think you can be happy and still be open to better things.