Monday Question: What Do You Desire?

Many people face this question everyday deciding what do we want to do or how do we want to spend our life. This can be a difficult and perplexing when figuring out what direction our life is headed. Often times we do things we don’t like or feel like we have to do. This can potentially make us miserable and live life on a day to day basis. Without following our desires or dreams it can hold us back from living the life we are destined to live.

Where to Start

I often get asked “I want to go after my dreams and passion but it’s not that simple for me I don’t know how to actually get started”. This can be a conundrum for many of us because just starting can be the most challenging and sometimes overwhelming time. We all know saying what we want to do is easy compared to actually actively trying to achieve it. Most aficionados will tell you that the best way to “get started” is to just start. Often times we get bogged down with the process of starting that we delay actually starting. We all know that for any amount of success we need a plan, but sometimes we need to just start the process then go back and clean up the particulars.

Take Control of Your Life

Many of us want to follow our dreams or passions but seem to never do so. This happens often because we let obstacles such as failure, monetary issues and social/family pressures that influence our lives. These are all justified reasons to claim why we never went after what we really wanted. On the hand if we never follow our heart we might regret it in the future. About a month in a half ago someone express to me “I can’t follow my dreams because that doesn’t make enough money…so I rather do something that is guaranteed to make money”. This statement had me pondering for several weeks, because as we all know money is important to live in today’s society. Then I came to the realization that if we base our lives solely on money we will live a pretty empty and passionless life. We may have a lot of money but deep down we know that we are unhappy. If we choose monetary gain over our heart’s passion.

Final Thoughts

A great philosopher once said “It’s better to have a short life doing what you love than a long life doing what you have to”. This simply means doing what you love will give you the maximum amount of happiness in our lives. This bring up the question what would you do if money wasn’t an option? Comment below & if you liked this post please share!

This entry was posted in Inspiration, Motivation and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

81 Responses to Monday Question: What Do You Desire?

1. chris jensen says:

While we living throughout our dreams,

not knowing until,

we have lived..

i also see that you have stopped by for a read,

chris

2. pawan35 says:

If money was not of any matter we Souls would be child again….
    If money was not what we thought is necessary our happiness would be in Abundance….
    We have been trying and doing things we don’t from heart love…. Time to do things which we love now….
    A bit courage is needed though but the joy would be in Abundance…
    We are not here to impress others we are here to live life and life can be lived when we enjoy each and every moment here and now, in present.

3. Loved the ending of your beautiful post and really life is short and so enjoy and live a happy life. 👍 👍

4. sarahii says:

This is very inspiring, and I sometimes find that just saying things out loud is the catalyst I myself need to get them done. Once I say “I’m going to (fill in the blank) I will… even if it takes me 50 years, I’ll do it 🙂

5. Nadia says:

love this!

6. exoticnita54 says:

Great 👍 post.
    And you make very valid points

7. I might sound not very bright to that someone …but money too is form of energy received and exchanged …so I say follow your joy with passion and everything you ask for will follow you, including money. Sometimes the initial investment is in terms of money or time …and there are more ways to be relentless at what we want to pursue and what we wish in return.

8. Very good post and very timing because currently I am in the process of writing a novel, working full time and starting a non profit organization. I have a lot on my plate, but I am determined to get what I need done. I have broken down my goals by months, so I don’t feel overwhelmed. I am a believer of “just starting!” I refuse to allow money or outside factors be a stumbling block in following my dreams/passions. Thanks again for this post.

9. I’d be starting up my publishing company, writing novels, poetry, and other articles to inspire and help people. There really wouldn’t be much of a difference in regards to what I’m doing on a day-to-day basis.

10. Reblogged this on Lady Dyanna and commented:
    Great Post

11. Pingback: Monday Question: What Do You Desire? | B +Ve !!

12. Allan Dixon says:

You have a wonderful turn of phrase. A pleasure to read.

13. Diana M says:

Following you heart, hmmmm 😊
    I like the question asked, what one would do if money wasn’t the problem or so. Yeah many times all we think of is money and this sometimes takes away what we are passionate about, what we are happy doing.
    But sadly money is the currency of living.

Yes it is truly a conundrum but sadly it is one we can’t get rid of. Because of how money is viewed & vauled. Thanks for stopping by!

• JP Robinson says:

I guess we have to just grit our teeth and prioritize sometimes. I don’t believe that we can do everything we want to in life because of bills,parenting etc…but we should be able to check one or two things off our list.

14. TCH says:

Inspiring! I like the quote, “It’s better to have a short life doing what you love than a long life doing what you have to.” So true. I’ve spent a long time doing what I felt like I had to do, and in the end, it’s just not worth it. It reminds me of the stories I’ve heard about people who, on their deathbeds talk about how they wish they’d spent more time with family, or doing quality things with their lives, but no one ever says they wish they’d spent more time at the office, or worked more… Thank you for liking my posts.

15. Patrick says:

Jay,

These thoughts are a great summary of what I have been learning to do since my divorce. Thanks for sharing your wisdom. Pat

16. taylormitch says:

Remember to live each day to the fullest.

17. Nice..
    keep up your words.

18. I think we can realize our dreams more often than we think. I always dreamed of going to Africa when I was a child but didn’t think that would happen But it did and our family spent 2 wonderful years in Africa.

Peace, happiness, and joy. And it occurs to me that these things are all within my reach, because they are all up to me.

20. Really motivating post this is!

21. If money is not an issue, I will travel and learn the ways of the world. 🙂 thanks for these motivational words

22. Well I have 3 jobs doings some things I love but not the one thing because there isn’t a chance for a newcomer where I live and I can guarantee you that 3 jobs still don’t pay rent and health care. I’d rather do what I love and live with less, even working abroad, but facts are that health is expensive, standart living aspects such as having a place to live and the costs of living are umbearable with a low payment job… We all have to face these facts and figure out, sometimes mediocrity isn’t chosen, sometimes we do need to make hard life decisions and provide.

I completely understand sometimes it can be difficult to do what we love. Often times when we’re in tough situations where we have bills and expensives it can seem downright impossible to follow our dreams. But I wish you the best & hope one day you can follow your passion.

23. gpj103 says:

I left my job in banking over a year ago with the specific intention of doing voluntary work with birds. I can honestly say that I have had more rewarding experiences since then than in many years prior. It so often triggers an emotional response of sheer delight where before the main emotional responses from work would be ones of frustration or annoyance.

I am lucky because my wife said I should do it but the challenge now is really what comes next as I have found that I really struggle with the idea of ever doing that sort of office work again.

24. Pingback: Monday Question: What Do You Desire? — Jay Colby | Wanda D. Jefferson

25. bunchup says:

You hit the nail on the head and you’re absolutely right. Many people think money is the answer to happiness but it is not.

26. There’s a lot of difference if you are doing what you want against doing what you have. Doing what you want makes you feel young and full of energy. Doing what you have to do makes you feel down and haggard.

27. Brilliant post! Financial stability was my biggest fear…until recently I decided I’d no longer let fear hold me back! Your posts truly inspire and uplift me. Thank you’n

28. Reblogged this on Wanda D. Jefferson and commented:
    Jay Colby your blog is great!

29. Barb says:

I love how you get so many people to comment. I think we honestly believe it is selfish to do what we want to do when it is the opposite as we are better people for it.

30. I totally agree!! The same happened to me about blogging, I have been wanting to start my own blog for a good few years but I never started as I was afraid it would have just been a waste of time. Then, I finally decided to start and I am so glad I did! I am loving every moment of it! It might not bring me any money but at least I am happy doing it 🙂

31. Great Post. Sadly sometimes we equate money with happiness.

32. johnnyboy46 says:

Hmmm!! What a interesting question.

33. My current interest that doesn’t make a lot of money is music. I write and produce, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. However, I also have 2 jobs because I also wish to have a lifestyle. I agree 100% with your ‘just start’ philosophy. That’s how I started making beats.

34. acflory says:

Great post, Jay. If money were no objective, I’d sit at home in front of my computer all day, writing. And when I needed a break I’d go outside and plant vegetables, or maybe just harvest them. But money is an issue so I write when I can and grow lettuce on the deck. If we wait for perfection, we’ll never achieve anything.

35. johnnyboy46 says:

What a great question? Clearly in my perspective what I desire in life in general is being independent living the exciting life I want to enjoy, driving the desire dream car, and eventually own my own house.

36. Great post 👍 it was hard for me when I left everything aside and decided I will do only what I like no matter wherever it takes me. I was filled with so much doubts but confident and happy to take the route.

37. George says:

Great post. Very well written. Gets right to the point and wrestles with difficult issues. It puts me in mind of a joke that says the definition of a musician is someone who loads £2000 of equipment into a £500 car to drive 100 miles to play for £10 expenses & a free beer. The way venue owners currently exploit musicians is deplorable but it’s testimony to how driven most musicians are that they put up with it. It might display terrible business acumen, but because playing is a passion, a compulsion. To stop doing it, would be like cutting off your arms or legs. We all have to pay the bills, but if your dream is a genuine calling, rather than just an idle whim, you have to find a way to follow it. You can’t find fulfilment by denying who you are.