Leaving Your Comfort Zone Behind: Change Your Life

We’ve all heard the same advice to get out of our “comfort zone” to stretch ourselves and try new things. Most people agree with this statement but what do we really know about the comfort zone besides its uncomfortable and we need to get out of it. We’re ruled by our habits. We do things the same old way because it’s comfortable. But the risk in staying firmly inside our comfort zones is that it creates psychological barriers that can lead to real limitations. There are many different scientific explanations of what exactly the comfort zone is, but simply put it is a behavioral space where activities and behaviors fit a certain routine and pattern that minimizes stress and risk levels. It provides a state of mental security. You benefit in obvious ways: regular happiness, low anxiety, and reduced stress. On the other hand having a comfort zone mindset can cause complacency in many different areas of your life.

In many cases what keeps many of us from getting everything we want in life and more are the reluctance to change. A lot of times we want to minimize the stress that may be caused by breaking the norm and making changes that may be risky. Sometimes it can be justified because life is stressful enough just living our daily lives. However, we may know in our heart of hearts that the job or relationship is not right for us. We endure them because we fear what is next, or stuck in a fixated pattern based in our past experiences. Whatever it may be anyone can break out of their comfort zone and create positive change. Here are six ways you can break out of your comfort zone and into the greatness you deserve.

1. Knowing & Accepting What’s Outside of Your Comfort Zone:

Simply said what are the things that you believe are worth doing but are afraid of doing yourself because of the potential for disappointment or failure. Once you accept this it is the first step to getting past this anxiety.

2. Do What Scares You Every Day:

Do something every day that scares you. This would be a powerful step this would be to make a conscious effort to take this step. It can open up all possibilities maybe new friendships or new opportunities.

3. Embrace Failure:

Many of us are so afraid of failure, that we would rather do nothing than take a shot at our dreams. Begin to treat failure as a lesson that you can learn from.  The next time you fail ask yourself questions like what did I learn from the experience? How can I take that lesson to your next venture to increase my chance of success?

4. Change Your Mindset:

This is a huge step when we change our thoughts we can improve our mindset. This takes mental stamina and discipline. A helpful way to start retraining your mind is by thinking and reading positive messages this helps to create a desire on whom you want to become and say them every day. Eventually these affirmations will become a part of your belief system.

5. Make A Bold Move Towards Your Dreams:

Sometimes we just need to put our best foot forward and take a risk with great risk there is also great reward. For example, many people dream to leave their eight to five job to pursue a hobby that has been a passion of theirs for years. They just need to figure out how to make it happen. The first step is to set reasonable time limits on yourself to reach or pursue certain goals. Once you done this you can start on the road to getting out of your comfort zone.

6. Connect/Network With Other Risk Takers:

This is an very important step if you want to learn or become better at something there is no substitute for simply knowing people who are doing what you want to do and start asking questions and emulating them.

Your comfort zone is neither a good or bad thing. It’s a natural state that most people trend towards. Leaving it means increased risk and anxiety, which can have positive and negative results, but don’t demonize your comfort zone as something holding you back. We all need that head-space where we’re least anxious and stressed so we can process the benefits we get when we leave it. Always remember only courageous people accomplish their dreams. This applies to big dreams, and also to simple everyday dreams. If you enjoyed this post comment below if you have stepped out of your comfort zone and what was the results. Also if you liked this post don’t forget to like and please share!

This entry was posted in Inspiration, Life, Motivation and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

63 Responses to Leaving Your Comfort Zone Behind: Change Your Life

1. Absolutely love this. Sometimes stepping outside our comfort zones is as small as making new friends and forcing yourself to get out and have brunch with them (which I finally did this weekend). We all get comfortable and pushing ourselves outside is not easy, but thank you for reminding us some of the best things to do to start it.

2. The Oryx Land Blogger-Sahar says:

What a lovely read! Sometimes you don’t get the futs to gwt out of your comfort zone. But when you get out magic happens!

3. Excellent advice and I can relate to what you delivered in this post. Good effort on sharing your thoughts.

4. I left my comfort zone of a regular income when I retired last year to expand our own business. It’s amazing how much I’ve learned and how much more I need to learn (mostly computer technology)

5. We are creatures of habit but having the courage to change your mindset and think out of the box with positive affirmations we set in motion good vibes in the universe.

6. Hallie Miller says:

I am way too emersed in my comfort zone lately. I’ve been saying for a while now that I need to break out. Definitely needed to hear this!

7. Lively Life says:

I like that you believe the comfort zone is a beneficial space to have. A place where we can kind of regroup and build energy for the new bits and actions we’re to do. I was pretty shy growing up in highschool. When I moved abroad I took a teaching course and next thing you know I’m teaching English to 30 year old female nurses. Yeah, I was afraid every day I went in there. But I pushed myself through it and even got better with each lesson I gave. I love that I could do that, it prooved to me capability. I’m braver because of it. 🙂

8. Nina says:

Nice insights…I specifically like the “CONNECT TO OTHER RISK TAKER” part 🙂
    Thanks for visiting and liking my blog.

9. I absolutely love this post and it really hits home, a year ago tomorrow we left the security of our jobs in London and took a risk to move abroad to Spain for a simplier life to discover ourselves and travel, a year in it’s the best decision we have ever made – we have been traveling around Spain and set up a blog and our camper van is on the way so we can explore Europe and who know’s where to after, the first step is always the hardest but if you have a dream or a passion go out there and make it happen.

Good read! Thanks!

10. This is something that is so hard for me — I hate change! But it is a part of life, and I need to learn to accept it and enjoy it. Thanks for the great post!

Emma | http://www.creativexplorations.com

11. Tarreva says:

Great read! I am steadily working on this everyday. I never thought to do something that scares me though. I will try this. To implement a habit of being accustom to risk-taking should help me take the big leap. 🙂

12. All very true especially changing your mindset. You have to embrace life and take a risk sometimes

13. This is the last school year I have with my friends and all of us are so afraid to let go. In a way, it’s okay. But we really should get out there and see the world outside our comfortable bubbles! I love my friends so much. They’ve been with me for like 10 years now and all of a sudden I won’t be seeing them often. It’s going to be a huge change.

My latest blog posts are all about how I feel about this change and would love if you checked it out and left any constructive criticism! (seeing as you’re so good)
    This Is Forever. – http://wp.me/p7r8il-7Q
    Thanks

14. I love this! I’m learning more and more about how important it is to connect with others. Their energy is inspiring, and it pushes me to step out of my comfort zone and go for it!

15. I love this!! For myself, I’ve always been super shy, so stepping out of my comfort zone would be striking up a conversation with someone that I have never met. I’ve been working on doing this over the past couple of months and sometimes I can do it but other times I go back to being shy. Learning and practicing Mindfulness has helped me with stepping out of my comfort zone since it gets me to stop thinking about the future or the past and be in the moment. Great post!
    Charlene The Frugal Fashionista

16. That’s some real talk, man! Your articles are informative and full of insight. Keep up the good work!

17. MissCrestin says:

Very nice. 😉

18. beesewon says:

I like “doing what scares you every day !” I think there’s even a book/journal for that. I need to do that!

19. monicavel says:

Amazing read. You have to do ‘that something’ that scare you to actually get over it. You will never lose by trying!

20. Agung says:

haha, i actually had this kind of topic in my draft list.

21. Great advice, especially that last one to connect with other risk takers. Thanks for an inspiring piece!

22. lastchance3 says:

These are great advice. I’m currently working on changing my mindset now. It’s such a long process.

23. fluffysteps says:

At this moment, I am trying to change my career path and pursue an entirely different passion, which scares me so much!

24. Easier for a few like you, we want but just can’t. What do we fear? Not failure but pity as we fail.

25. rexsikes says:

awesome post thanks

26. Taureenia says:

Actually in the process of doing just that.

27. erbiage says:

Spot on! Top notch stuff. So hard to keep up sometimes

28. biobeeni says:

Amazing post! Really enjoyed reading it!

Great insight! You always reach the heart it really makes you think.

30. Tina says:

Great advice! Thanks for sharing. Whenever I need to step outside my comfort zone, I ask myself: what’s the consequence if I don’t. Often the answer is missing out on an opportunity I wanted. And that alone is enough to make me more courageous.

31. S says:

Much easier said than done, but at least I’m making an effort to work on this. I definitely needed this read today!! Thanks!

32. Pingback: Leaving Your Comfort Zone Behind: Change Your Life — Jay Colby – Focus and re-focus

33. spudbudette says:

Very interesting, I think I will keep these ideas for when I feel braver:) I shared because I thought it a concise compilation that can help many. Thank you for sharing.

34. nedburwell says:

I enjoyed this article, thanks for sharing.

35. This is an Eye-opener. I love every piece of advice in it. Thanks for sharing, Jay!

36. Derek Brown says:

Another great post Jay!

37. Shubham Paul says:

Mindset plays a vital role. If you don’t change your mindset according to your circumstances, same thing will perpetuate over and over again. And will your soul untidy. It’s like a dress. We need to change it every time when we encounter different situations. We don’t wear a fancy party dress, when we go for an interview, etc. So, this is mindset. Does it seem simple? Ha. Stay well. Peace.

38. Bang on the Nail with this post Jay.Once we let go of all the past mindsets we will be able to be free to be our true selves

39. Pingback: Leaving Your Comfort Zone Behind: Change Your Life — Jay Colby | Lady Dyanna

40. Great post! Reminded of something that inspired me in the past …Disregarding comfort as the only motive goes a long way …don’t remember who it is from …
    skillful courage to choose outside of the comfort zone does is always empowering!

41. Barb says:

Jay, a timely post. I have not as of yet written my first post of the year but reading this I realised what I was waiting for. That comfort zone holds back so many people and often they then try to hold others (often subconsciously) back as well. Stepping out is empowering and means you don’t have to compare yourself. Inspiration given so now I have no excuse to write my post.

42. I love your posts 😍😍

43. Really beautifully written, and so wise! I find that whenever I don’t leave my comfort zone in a tricky situation, I sometimes regret it afterwards. I do truly believe that by disregarding comfort and an ‘easy option’, we often open new doors for ourselves. Thanks for the post, I love your pieces!

44. Very nice. It’s so true that fear, so often is what keeps us in our comfort zones. But if you can take a step everyday toward that one thing, it can become habit to just keep going.

45. sotzlajanger says:

Such a great piece.Awesome!😊

46. Barb says:

Too true Jay. It’s ironic but most people don’t even like their comfort zone that much. They cling because it is familiar. I think of it as adding a dimension which is why I chose to get out and write romance. It is not easy, or comfortable but it is exciting, and that outweighs fear.

47. In High School my Sunday School teacher, told me to get out of my “comfort zone” because I was so shy in class, and sadly I was the only one to bring my Bible to class, before Ipad, Iphone, and other electronics for reading the Bible, we didn’t even have cell phones, oh the life! I wouldn’t say I always jump to get out of my “comfort zone” all the time. But in 2010, my husband and I were married less than a year, and we went on a missions trip (my first one) we went to Tunica,MS, I was scared driving through rough neighbor hoods, but I prayed, and I wasn’t scared anymore. The missions trip was a week. Cell phones we not allowed, because it would be a distraction, when we need to focus on our trip, not worldly things.