Love is Blind?

“Love is blind… we all have been played once”

This quote was written by a great philosopher that stated that love is blinding, because it’s hard to see clearly when you’re in love. Many times love is seen as a powerful pleasure or deep pain depending on what side we fall on can change our perception of love.  Love can give us the feeling that even money cannot buy or cause us pain that can seem never ending.  No matter our age or experience love is always a topic that we all are still trying understand and figure out.

‘Love is Blind’

Majority of the time when someone says love is blind they usually mean when we are in midst of deep love and think everything our partner does is right. Many times we tend to be blinded to the behavior or negative traits that differ from our idealized image of the person we are involved with. We often love the idealized object rather than the real one. Are we then blind when we fall in love and when we maintain it?

Clear Eyes

In a large number of cases we tend to fall in love with our ideal version of our partner. Instead of what they really are because often we tend to be in love with idea of being in love. This can cause us not to have clear eyes when it comes to the validity of our relationship. Therefore these illusions are in fact a major part in our view of love.

The complex nature of love and the fact that lovers are often unwilling to face reality, self-deception and mistakes are likely to occur. Have you ever been blinded by love unrelenting light? Comment below & if you liked this post please share!

This entry was posted in Love, Relationships and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

97 Responses to Love is Blind?

1. effectivelybroken says:

I don’t think I’ve ever been blinded by love.

2. I believe in many aspects that we are blinded by love, whether it be a romantic relationship, friendship or family. We are blinded because of the euphoric feeling that love entails. Like you stated, we love the idea of being in love. That feeling makes a blind to many attributes. It can blind you when you are in a toxic relationship because you love them so much that you are willing to look past that. However, on the other hand, love can blind us to other positive aspects. Your partner many not be the beautifullest or handsomest person you know, but love blinds you to their physical features. Blinding love is both good and bad.

3. Of course I’ve been blinded by love for people. Old friends were never on my side; day ones hating since day two. Even when you see the signs you don’t want to believe them, so denying the truth is a mistake we all make. I’ve never been in love with a woman yet, but I’m positive it’s coming.

4. Max says:

Hi Jay
    polite amend…complexity to complex.

I like this idea of looking into the perceptive nature of love.
    Our minds have a habit of filling in the gaps.In relationships we fill in the shortfalls of our parners with our acceptance and this is the compromise we make foe love.
    Those that cannot compromise cannot truely love.
    Max

5. Max says:

own error corrections
    parners……partners
    foe… for.
    Non of us are perfect…. i try
    Max 😊

6. Ah indeed, I was blinded by love before hah! We’re not together anymore but I loved my ex, even for her flaws because I see the beauty in it- She was superbly controlling but mix that with her kind nature, it’s actually a trait of a good mother lol!

In the end, I guess it’s really up to how you look at the relationship and how it’s progressing. Being blinded, to me, just mean that you’re willing to see past certain things which the relationship is providing- Be it good or bad. We tend to use the term towards the “Bad” though.

Every relationship has it’s benefits and harms. Even those with friends.
    Oooh perhaps now we can even look at the love towards family and friends instead of just romantic partners lol!

Okay I’ll stop here before I go off topic hah! Good post 😉

Your pal,
    Benjamin

I understand I think sometimes we all can be blinded by love. Thanks for sharing your own experience!

• Max says:

Well you know when it is working or not.Ok we kid ourself into thinking we can work this out.
      I met the girl i love and i knew straight away.
      You can settle for les ok.However when the right person comes along.You WILL know.

• I wouldn’t be able to say that since I haven’t found anyone new at the moment lol but hey, if that is the case, it’ll be fun when the time comes eh?

Important thing is, I think, to not WAIT for the right person but to seek them.

Some people hold onto the idea where the right person will come by and its a fact that a lot of them never do appear. Reason?

They weren’t looking for them.

If man seek water, he will find water. If man seek nothing, he finds nothing.

Thanks for inciting my brain to think and creating this little respond. I think it will be beneficial for readers of the blog, don’t you think? 😉

Talk again soon, Max. Cheers!

Your pal,
        Benjamin

7. So well said. I can completely relate to every word. I also think love is bling because it doesn’t need to see when it’s real love and not lust. True love washes all else away leaving only the flower in it purest, most perfect form.

8. Cinn says:

Is that truly love…. if one is blinded to the realities of the other?
    I’d say no. Lust, infatuation …. That delicious honeymoon period…. New relationship feeling…
    To me, only one we have shown the places
    we are dusty, dirty, broken… And found acceptance… Only then, would I label it love

9. Sparkyjen says:

Love may be blind, but it’s not deaf and dumb. We hear those bells and whistles, but forge ahead any way. Humans need and want companionship, which often causes many to settle. They actually believe that they can change another person to suit. They often see what isn’t actually there because of love. So in this latter case, yes, love is definitely blind. Then there’s knowing which “love” we are referring to. There are scads. I suspect if both parties are feigning blindness, the relationship has a better chance of lasting for a long while, or at least a while longer. The rub is when only one person is seemingly blind, and the other is deaf and dumb. [Chuckle]!

10. jac forsyth says:

I so recognise that state of believing in an idealized image of the person we are involved with. It takes a long time and a lot of heartache to give that treasure house up. I kinda figure now that thinking about love in terms of a commodity we can trade in is messed up.

11. Very truly and well described what the idea of love is and how it gets blind to reality.

12. jennycalder says:

Jay, I find your writing so refreshing. Clean, neat and honest, and I hope to see much more of it in time. On this post, I feel qualified to comment and expand a little. I found real love at the age of 50, but experienced so much of what I thought was real before that. My husband and I first saw each other as I entered a rowdy pub with a friend. It was 2010, and the World Cup Soccer was on with a game being played about 15 minutes walk from the pub. Although I knew most of the regulars at the pub, on that day the only person I saw was my husband. We could not stop staring at each other with what I can only describe as shocked recognition. It was as if I had waited, and prepared for this moment throughout my entire life.

We only met up again about three months after that day, but our relationship developed quickly, and we moved in together three months later. About six months later, I was still madly in love with him, but was starting to get a bit concerned. I could not find fault with anything he did, and no-one is perfect. This bothered me immensely. I began to wonder how blind love could be. We spent every minute we could together. We’re both artists, so we would paint, and talk, and share, and have the most wonderfully deep, meaningful, conversations. I had three disastrous long-term relationships before I met him, and there is absolutely no way I wanted to settle into this one, only to discover once I had, that he is the axe murderer that has been missing for years……..kidding, but I’m sure you know what I mean. I would have lucid moments where I would examine our relationship from every angle, with my head of course, and yet could still not find anything wrong.

Then one morning, while getting ready to start an early shift having overslept, I blurted out how whatever he was doing really irritated me, and did he have to do it now. I didn’t dwell on it during my busy day at work, but sitting on the train going home, I reflected on it and it suddenly dawned on me how the blindness had lifted. He was still feeling bad when I got home, and greeted me somewhat apologetically. I don’t think he could quite understand why I was so happy.

‘Don’t you see how happy I am that you’re not perfect, and how real it now makes our relationship’.

He didn’t, and I explained. I think when I was younger, and less honest with myself, I would see imperfections almost immediately, and probably driven by my own insecurities and a need to fit in, I would recognise what didn’t appeal to me about a relationship, but then brush it off by re-assuring myself that no one is perfect, and it can be worked on. How naive of me.

It was through searching for answers about why I could never be happy in a relationship, and allowing feelings of inferiority to creep in, blaming myself entirely for the abuse I suffered previously, that I started reading a lot about psychology and the dynamics of relationships. I found it immensely helpful to find out that as long as I was prepared to play the part of a victim, I would always find a tormentor. That changed everything for me. I resolved never to compromise myself in a relationship again, in an attempt to make myself more likeable. I resolved to be brutally honest and hide nothing about myself again, but most importantly, I learned that unless I love and like myself, how could I expect anyone else to love and like me. And with that, why had I previously allowed someone else’s opinion to dictate how I should feel.

We have been married for almost two years now, and have what I never thought was possible between two people. Neither of us have ever felt this happy, this secure, laughed as much as this, and felt this fulfilled within ourselves. It is not perfect though, and that makes me feel good. He has never dictated what I should or should not do, and I have never demanded that he stop doing the things that irritate me. Because essentially the person I fell in love with, has allowed the space to grow more love. It keeps on getting better, and I have stopped looking for the axe murderer.

Thank you I’m glad it resonated with you. You’re story is very important to show everyone that we can find real love once we love ourselves thanks for sharing!

• jakerose says:

That’s an awesome story. Interesting that you found true happiness with your relationship once you realized that there are some things not so great about it, but that’s truly the only way to be happy in a relationship, isn’t it? Realizing that the other isn’t perfect, and neither are you. That you both have flaws, and will get on each other’s nerves from time to time. But that’s the beauty of imperfection, huh?

• jennycalder says:

Thank you Jake. Give me the perfection of imperfection any day, I am comfortable with that on every level. Perhaps it’s the cynic in me, but perfect, or ‘nice’ people give me the creeps sometimes. Why? Because they are doing such a good job of hiding those imperfections that it makes me worry. But in love, it is different, it is known as ‘blindness’.

13. CrabtreeGirl says:

I enjoy reading your blog! This was a good one and makes for a thoughtful moment.

14. ReprogramGuy says:

I know that some people definitely chose not to acknowledge the faults in their lover. My wife and I on the other hand have a very strong relationship due to our communication. You can get that we are going to talk about it if something is coming up. I can honestly say no, I’m not at all blinded. Also, most people portray what they think their partner wants to see in the beginning. Later in the relationship they start being themselves and find they no longer mesh well. Be honest from the get go! Great post.

15. Pingback: Love is Blind? | B +Ve !!

16. moesenberg says:

Great post Jay! However, I’d have to disagree with the fact that love is blinding. If you look around the world, we have so much seperation, so many “races” of people, so many wars going on. These problems can only be ended when we learn to love each other, to appreciate each other, you know what I mean? So, in that case, I think love is probably our only guidance to live in harmony. What you have described may have been lust or sexual desire for a partner instead. Lust is not love. Let me know what you think Jay!

Thank you & I agree when it comes to the world issues i.e. wars and social issues. That the problems won’t truly end until we start to love each other. On the hand in relationships we confuse love and lust because many times we love the idea of love. Thanks for sharing such insightful thoughts!

17. Roos Ruse says:

You have me thinking. I suspect love or the hope for “true love” tends to give to selective reasoning. Good post!

18. Reblogged this on femidadaadedina and commented:
    Love is a powerful emotion and really can be blinding. The one in love most times see in rose coloured glasses and the object of love is usually without blemish. This makes it easy for tricksters, conmen and fraudsters to use love as a leverage to take advantage of people. However, love in spite of this make life and world to go around

19. Taureenia says:

Great post and Lord knows. I finally addressed it. As hard as it was. It needed to be done.

20. sugarrfoot says:

Great read! Its true & i think people really dont see when this is happening, thats the scary part! Sometimes loosing themselves. But i loved the post 💕

21. A most engaging post that has certainly generated an interesting conversation in the comments. I recall what Maya Angelo once said “When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.” Maya Angelou
    All my best to you. 🍁

22. You are so practical. Love your articles! Keeps me honest.

23. Jay, pretty good wisdom from one so young. Yes, we tend to fall in love with what we have projected onto the other person. Sustainability may or may not be there. Time and experience with the person help, but ultimately, we’re all something of a mystery to each other. And that may not be a bad thing.

24. Barefootmom says:

Yes I have. But I do believe that once the blinders come off it’s when the real love starts. You have to find a middle ground between compromise and what you’re not willing to put up with!

25. Marriage is an eye opener! 😀

26. Great an awesome and inspiring post Jay. U r saying so truly that we fall in love with not the person but the object and our love is not the real but temporary as everything is fleeting and I loved your picture too.👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌👌

27. Ana says:

You nailed it , brilliant work !😊

28. lisakunk says:

Not just blind but deaf and temporarily without certain feelings that should warn if thugs not being right.

29. kplifeblog says:

Sometimes I feel as if I am blinded by love, but I am not sure. I found this really insightful. My blog is about my life, and includes stories about my relationship with my boyfriend, looking back on my posts my love may be blind.

30. anitabacha says:

Nice post 🙂..love is blind until we open our eyes. So long as we close our eyes , we are blinded by illusion. Love is so wonderful ❤️

31. When you love something or someone more often than not faults are not seen or this tendency might be termed as acceptancy. Love is blind indeed.

May I request you to visit my blog and give your opinion about it. Is it really worththe effort or not?

32. Pingback: #HighCastle #WTNHweather #NBAxESPN #CrazyExGirlfriend #iahsbkb #Rosewood #inspirala #health #fitness #fitathome #NewMusic #Release #House | Highwaypay

33. jakerose says:

Great post Jay, strange how love can have a “blinding” effect on us. You can take this blindness- completely looking past a person’s flaws and imperfections- and focusing only on their positive features, and think “Well what’s wrong with that? What’s wrong with loving someone for everything that makes them great?” But I believe, like you do, that it’s far better to upfront and honest from the get-go. Much better to learn about the person and who they truly are, deep down, than to love a surface-level version of them for a while, then have the shock of your life when you realize they aren’t who you thought they were.

Great insight! I love this thanks for sharing!

35. Hi , Jay , I guess most of us have been blinded by love ( +ve or the -ve ) way , I also think that the fact there is something about the person you are in love with that makes you look past the other minuses he or she might have …like finding a Bigger Yes about the person among the numerous NO’s , it is in a way blinding , but at times its choice one makes

Great post by the way 🙂

36. Vernon says:

Love is such an illusion it can make one think it’s all about them. When we love something we try to find out everything about it.
    If it’s our favorite football team we’ll read any article to find out about them.
    But for some reason we don’t do that with a person, instead we seek to be understood than understand.

37. Rebecca says:

I was once! I fell head over heels for a boy when I was 7 (early bloomer) and it lasted 7 years. As much as I told myself the objective truths that might us incompatible, my hormones drowned them out. Relationship #2 and man I married started out as friends and never idealized each other. It worked out much better for both of us!

38. Becky says:

Great post, I think most people can relate to this but do you that this could be infatuation?
    http://www.truthfollower.com/2015/07/they-say-love-is-blind-i-disagree.html (sorry wouldnt let me add a pic)
    But they explain that real love is all seeing and accepting of the other persons flaws and imperfections because if its real love. You’ll just love and accept them.

39. Ohmz says:

If love was blind, then call me daredevil and please let mr. murdock defend me. in short yes I am blind. So much love came in and out of me still love as the same as before.

40. callmekinky says:

Yes….definitely. I am not sure if love is really blind though. We usually see exactly who and what someone is but we tend to ignore the things we don’t want to confront.

41. Cleoschen says:

ooh yes, and l am still stuck up in that mess.

42. So true!! Not going to lie, I spend a rather lot of time just going though your comments on here and reading the opinions x

43. windstrewn says:

Taking ‘love is blind’ to mean that we, perhaps unconsciously, overlook our partner’s irritating tendencies and character weaknesses for the beneficial sake of simply being ‘in love’ is just one interpretation of the phrase.

Having experienced a relatively recent divorce from someone I deeply loved and to whom I was faithfully committed, I’ve learned a number of things things in retrospect about her, myself and how I had approached that relationship. Chief among them is how more and more shocked I became as I began to understand the effective essence of this person; that is, what apparently motivated her, what had become important to her, how shockingly shallow were some of the newly adopted principles she was acting on (in my opinion, which is not inherently a right one). I slowly realized how almost the entire framework of belief within this person was skewed relative to mine, and to this day find it almost impossible to reconcile this stranger to the person I was married to for well over a decade. I wouldn’t dare insinuate I was faultless; real relationships require far more honesty and accountability than that. However, because infidelity was the primary impetus for the separation, I was left with enormous scalp-scratching questions and a lot of bitter haze to move through before I could begin getting some real truth out of my own heart.

What I’ve realized is that while I always knew she was generally combative, unkind, unapologetic and narcissistic by nature, I loved her anyway. Not because I couldn’t see these aspects of her personality, but because I chose to love her above and beyond them. Sure, that’s basically all I can see these days, because she has removed herself from the forgiveness and acceptance of my love…and clocks are notoriously difficult to rewind. Curiously, what could pass as the character faults I listed above were the same drivers that made her passionate, independent, ambitious and accomplished. But love, end of day, is a choice. And I chose to love her anyway. Not from a position of ignorance or denial or a need to simply be in a meaningful relationship. But from a place of acceptance and forward-looking commitment. Humanly conditioned, we all have our limits…and she found the end of mine. Ultimately, though, I’d just like to suggest that love ‘being blind’ might also connote a love that loves without condition, above judgment, with mutual growth towards tomorrow a focus, and with a will that seeks purely to warm the cold places in someone else’s heart. We owe it to love’s more meaningful choices to be careful with how we paint them.

44. lovskakara says:

What a beautiful post 🙂 !

45. vvibrance says:

Yes it is. I may be too young to say that. I met a guy online. Never saw his picture. I didn’t know who he was but deep down I knew I know him. Felt a deep connection with him. It may sound stupid and unrealistic but I had dreams about a guy every night with whom I was deeply in love with but in the morning I never remember his face or anything. But I did remember his actions, personality. After I met that guy online it just felt he is the one. I am really happy to say he is mine now. We are deeply in love with each other. He is my dream boy exactly like the guy I used to dream about. Love is not only blind but also beautiful