Staying Positive In A Negative World

If you haven’t noticed that we live in a negative world, you just haven’t been paying attention. Whether it’s social media, news outlets, movies or just mainstream society there are countless number of negative images displayed in the world today. These negative influences have been especially evident during the past couple of years with the emergence of various news stories that have portrayed a negative narrative. These stories have created many debates, discussions and in some cases violence such as the apparent police brutality cases that have spread over many news stations over the past couple of years. Not to mention the presidential campaign that has brought up many negative and tasteless messages.  Then if you add in things like sickness, the loss of a job, or marriage problems, and you can easily see where over time the pressures of the world have caused some of us to lose our positive outlooks and steal the love and joy from our life.

It is very easy to let all these negative influence’s get us down and have us in a state of self-pity but it is imperative for us to stay positive despite the negativity that surrounds us. It is our decision to stay positive. It is our decision to live in peace, not in frustration with the way things are going. We make hundreds to thousands of decisions every day. Such as, when to wake up, what to wear, what to eat, what to work on and what to put off for another day, what to watch, read or listen to. We can’t get away from making choices. The world around us may be negative  we may hear it daily  where its gas prices rising, economy getting worse , real estate sales down ,food prices rising, which political candidate will become the next president and on and on it goes. In light of all the things that may be going on around us being positive is a crucial component to having a successful and happy life. This was one of my main purposes of starting this website to be a positive outlet for anyone reading my post to show the world that there still is some positivity left in this world.

Here are a few techniques that can be used to maintain a positive outlook when the world seems so incredibly negative:

1. Control The Negative People In Your Life:

This is very essential to having a positive outlook because if you surround self with what I like to call “Negative Nancy’s”. It can bring you down and have your mind fill with negative thoughts. Make sure the people you surround yourself with are people who bring out the absolute best in you, not people who drag you down.

1. Pray / Meditate:

This is a key component to staying positive its gives you another outlet to relive some of the daily stress. A simple two-phrase prayer can sometimes lift all the negativity off your shoulders.

1. Laugh:

To simply laugh sometimes does the body well like medicine because laughter causes you to stay in present moment and enjoy it.

1. Disconnect:

Sometimes it’s good to get away from friends, family, social media, TV and our cell phone and shut down and just give our mind a break.

Lastly there is nothing left to do but take action and begin improving your life and the people around you. If people live good lives, the allure of living in a negative way is suddenly gone. And remember, everyone does better when everyone does better. Comment below if you live your life with a positive outlook or is it a struggle to do so. Also if you liked this post don’t forget to like and please share!

Copyright ©2016 Jay Colby All Rights Reserved

This entry was posted in Inspiration, Life, Motivation and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

73 Responses to Staying Positive In A Negative World

1. Psycho_love says:

Those were really interesting tips, especially the last one, disconnect.

2. tearathinks says:

Get out of my head! I was working on something similar! Great minds think alike!

3. Great tips 🙂 I let my phone die everyday, at least for a couple minutes, to disconnect from the negativity momentarily! It’s very important to not dwell on the negative

4. Smartygirl41 says:

I work at being positive daily. I admit that at times it is a struggle, and when I find myself getting into a funk, I have to evaluate what’s going on in my life and why I’m feeling down. Love this post, thanks so much!

5. PatriciaP says:

Very good. Especially the unplug part! Trying hard on that one!

6. Aria says:

Interesting article 😉 I definetely agree with you that people shoul stay positive and think positive 🙂 but I don’t agree with a name of the article “staying positive in a negative world”, I mean, can we be positive when we believe that this world is negative? Of course, we shouldn’t close our eyes and live in a paradise in our heads but I think it would be really hard to be positive if you would believe that this world ia negative 😉

For example, last year I wasn’t realy happy in my part time job, I was trying to stay positive and so on but at the same time I thought: “omg, these people are the worse, why are everybody being so mean to each other? In this work there is probably no one who is happy” and so on

It wasn’t until then that I realized that beinf positive isn’t enough, meditation isn’t enough, you need to really change your Wholo thinking to be really positive 🙂 so I started saying affirmation acery day: I meet only nice people, I like peole and I am surrounded by people who likes me, my work is full of good people, everything is fine” and it worked ;)) Now I can say that I am positive 🙂 and when I noticed it’s working for my work I use it also in another parts of my life.

When I catch myself that I am thinking how bad us that or that, I stop and think smething positive instead, including thoughts about this world 🙂 don’t get me wrong I still see what’s going on but I still believe that peole are capable of beautiful things 🙂

7. Dehan Taylor says:

I love this topic. I agree with Aria when he said “you need to change your whole thinking in order to be positive.” This is so true because in order for positive things to happen in our lives we first have to get rid of our old ways of thinking and embrace the positive flow of life.

8. apromise2013 says:

Thank you. Some times in an imperfect world; there can exist the perfect word. You have lifted someone’s spirit. The gift of words can be powerful- thank you again

9. Phones down! Very important, I leave my phone in my purse after around 5pm. It makes for a peaceful evening.

10. Aw.. this is so nice and refreshing to see. I loved your perspective and tips. I like how some of the people in the comments disagreed with some of your views, but kept it a nice and positive conversation. The fact that we all have different views and have came together to talk in a sensible fashion amazes me. I love it!

11. VE says:

I agree staying positive in a negative world is what it takes to make the world positive. Those techniques are really great tips. Meditation/Prayer does wonders in life and laughing adds boost while detaching from negative surrounding adds value. Good read!

12. Love your blog! Great writing! Keep it up!

13. great , great ..positivity is the deal..tankiu..

14. Princess says:

This is good and valuable information.

15. Sparkyjen says:

Bingo! I loved this sentence: “Everyone does better, when everyone does better.” I do live my life with a positive outlook. I love my life and the vibrancy of life’s energy in general. I am not only grateful to be breathing, but also grateful that I can bounce some of my positive energy off everyone I meet. Some people get all wide-eyed around me. Could it be that I wake them up just a little bit. I know when I’m around people with a positive outlook, they wake me up a little bit more. Cool beans!!!

16. Sparkyjen says:

Reblogged this on Sparky Jen "No Beating Around the Bush Allowed!" and commented:
    Jay Colby’s post is being reblogged because I love the positive energy his blog throws out to his readers.

Since it’s Truth Moment Monday, I decided that my readers might also enjoy an excellent read, and a nice boost!

17. Thank you so much I got this off of the reblog Sparky Jen blog. I find it very inspiring and I really really really appreciate it thank you again and blessings we all need reminders right.

18. Great minds think alike!! I knew there were other ppl out there that feel the same way as I do with a positive mind in a negative world. Thank you, I enjoyed this reading.

19. mjkbm says:

Helpful! Thank you for this. 🙏🏻

20. Jesse D'Marko says:

Love this!!! Whenever I get caught up in the negativity I disconnect and and focus on my beliefs and values and things that are true tome to recenter.

21. Pingback: Staying Positive In A Negative World — Jay Colby | Lady Dyanna

Very good as always! Thanks for sharing!

23. Jay, A very Merry Christmas to you and all good wishes. :O)

24. vishal4u says:

I am also facing the same thing you mentioned in this post. I know, my life and my days are not turning the way I want and that is is because of me thinking negative most of the time.
    I will surely adhere th what you have said in this post and try and be away from negative people as much as I can.
    Thanks for such a great post.

25. This was a wonderful read. I recently wrote something similar if you would like to check it out. Keep writing♡

26. I love what you had to say! I agree 100% with it! I have been feeling down lately and the only person who can change is me and how I view things and how I choose to react. I liked that bit on smiling and praying!

27. AbitSheepish says:

Really good tips in this blog, it is stuff that I’ve been hearing a lot of happy & successful people do from podcasts & books. Stuff I think a lot of people need to take on-board! 🙂

28. Great post!!! There is so much negative around us and I take my hat off to those who can still remain positive during it all.

29. samba2017 says:

Very true. I lost my Dad just over a year ago and he saw the positive in life right til the very end even when his body had given up. He was a true inspiration. It is not about ignoring negative events or repressing your feelings but being grateful for what is good I think. Thanks for sharing. I have just started a poetry blog here on WordPress in case you have time to have a look? Today’s post relates to seeing the positive. Have a good day, Sam 🙂

30. Ruth101 says:

Great list. It is important to stay positive as the world preys on those that are sad and negative. I 100% agree with everything you said. Be positive and the world will be better. 🙂

31. Amazing…short and simple writing but powerful…

32. Ivana says:

Other than surrounding ourselves with positive people, we can also strive to improve the lives of those who are abit on the “dark” side. 😛

33. Thank you for writing this. Everybody needs to read a positive message like this at one time or another. Today was my day. Thank you once again and keep up great work.

34. I was reflecting on this same topic early this morning!!!! It’s soooo important that we actively try to keep negativity out of our lives!

35. A great post to maintain positivity ! 😇

36. I disconnect all the time. I barely watch tv but I’m always on social media which I love getting away from every couple of months . When I don’t watch tv or log on to social media and I spend time in prayer my head is so clear.

37. You always write such inspiring things that can make any life easy. I always use laughter as my medicine to bluff off negative people around me.

38. mraine33 says:

I always hate it when people try to pretend like negative things don’t exist in order to get this mindset. Being positive is absolutely necessary in this world, but it doesn’t mean that we should ignore the negative things that are going on. The key is to be able to incorporate those things with a positive attitude and be able to make clear decisions on them. I love that you mentioned meditating because that is one of my go-to ways to help with negativity. I don’t meditate to make it go away or hide from it, I do it as a way to see clearly, to put forth my positive intention, and to be able to make better decisions from a place that is less emotionally turbulent. We all have emotions and it’s totally ok to feel those, but we can’t let them overwhelm us and take over. We need to be able to see objectively and understand that there is negativity in the world, but that we can combat it with our compassion. Everything starts with us. If someone is being nasty to you, be as nice as you can back. It’s possible that person is going through a lot, and your friendly smile could be just what they need to change their own perspective. We shouldn’t pretend that war, hunger, and injustice aren’t going on, but we don’t have to have it shoved down our throats 24/7. Disconnecting is a great thing to do. Be aware of the negative that is going on, but for every negative story you read, go find a positive one. Can’t find one? Go make one! If people would do this individually, it would spread through the whole world! We don’t have to be 100% positive all the time, but we need to notice when we are negative and where it comes from. If we get to the root of the problem, it’s much easier to solve.

39. 👍🏻 living this.

40. Graham says:

Stop watching the news is a good way of making things more positive, and don’t surround yourself with people who drag you down either…

41. We are alike at positivity..
    I feel life is heaven if we are positive