One of the hardest things for anyone in a relationship to admit is that their relationship toxic and may need to end. For many of us when we enter a relationship, we’re usually have on rose-colored glasses and become infatuated with our partner. Often times we only focus on our partners good qualities and don’t pay attention to their faults. Therefore, when friends and family tell us what they deem to be some negative qualities and predict the outcome of our relationships we tend to be clueless. Here are three signs that it might be time to end your relationship.
- They don’t allow you to have ‘Personal Time’ – A controlling partner initially feels like a loving partner. Oh, their jealous when you’re out with single people? Of course, they are. Although this can seem like a positive at first a controlling partner isn’t compatible to having a healthy relationship. Relationships are not about monitoring another person, they are about giving complete freedom and seeing that each other’s decisions are aligned. Every person has their own personal needs and the best relationships are ones in which partners fulfill each other’s most important needs. If you find your partner is controlling what you post on social media, who you hang out with or how you dress. Should be taken as a BIG RED FLAG.
- Prioritize Your Partner’s Wants & Needs – Early in a relationship, making your partner a priority seems like the right things to do. However, in some cases we can lose ourselves and begin to compromise who we’re as person. Compromises are necessary when two people enter into a relationship, and some disproportion in whose needs are being met more than the other’s is bound to happen. Nevertheless, if you’re constantly expected to rearrange your life around your significant other, and you don’t expect the same flexibility from them, you should take a closer look at why that is happening.
- 80/20 Ratio is Off – According to one of the most well-known relationship researchers, John Gottman couples should have at least 80% positive interactions. He states the other 20% will most likely not get resolved. Instead of focusing on conflict, the goal is to enhance the 80%. If you find yourself in a relationship with a ratio slanted towards the negative, it may not be the healthiest.
In the end life is too short to be in a relationship that is toxic and causing you mental or physical harm. Our well-being is intricately connected the relationships i.e. family, friends, significant other. Every relationship experiences tough times and it’s worth working on issues to see if it will improve. But when your happiness and well-being are affected for a significant amount of time is not helping to make things better. Therefore, it may be time to go.
Have you ever been in a toxic relationship before? What was the key signs you were in a toxic or negative relationship?
Comment below and if you enjoyed this article please share!
Stay Connected with Jay Colby
Facebook Page: Jay Colby
Twitter: J Colby
Instagram: Jay Colby
Podcast: The Jay Colby Show
Copyright ©2017 Jay Colby All Rights Reserved.